Friday, July 15, 2011

Some of my New Favorite Things

*BUTTPACK: The buttpack is sadly out of fashion at this moment, but it is one of mankind's great inventions.  I can throw a half gallon of water (a juice bottle, nothing fancy), my netbook, food, and other whatsits to keep me self contained for a full day.  No strain on shoulders, no nothing.  Its like a super-powered utility belt!
*DEET:  I buy Off! in lotion form by the case.  It is expensive but without it the sand flies make life hell at night.
*GLACIER GLASSES:  These mothers are the real deal glacier glasses.  Dark as night, leather siding, and wraparound ear jobbies.  Glass polarized lenses.  I thought they would be too dark, but out on the water they are perfect.  And they don't make you look like a snowboarder.
*ARMY SURPLUS SUN HAT, TYPE II: I use the neck strap to tie up the sides most of the time.  But its great to have the 360 degree brim when you need it.  I only do that when necessary, as having the sides up makes me look like I just walked out of the Louisiana Bayou.
*DOC MARTEN LOW TOP STEEL TOE BOOTS:  They are just plain old thick leather with a giant sole. I don't care how hot it is, when I've got serious work to do, flip flops (thongs, we used to call them), just don't cut it. 

On a side note, there are lots of thrift shops on the island now.  Whatever doesn't get sold at Goodwill in the U.S. ends up in third world countries at for-profit used goods stores.  Normally I would say that would be bad for the Honduran economy, but since almost nothing is produced in Honduras for Hondurans, I don't think it hurts.  But that is for another post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that you are bringing the fanny pack back to the scene!! Sweet mustache as well. Kind of a Helene Village People ensemble medley thingy. Dig the whole thing!!!

Jon's little sis and beau are landing on the 7/25. Gunna try and hit BJs for a 7/27 (noonish) pick-up. Expect a phone call.

Later,
Z

peeeps said...

I hope more than anything that is your real mustache.