Thursday, July 14, 2011

Another Pottery Nerd Post: A Little Sculpture I Made

Just dorking around with some clay.  Our house is in the midst of a pottery/anthropology nerd's paradise.  I dug the clay out of the ground downhill from the house, like 100 feet away.  The land crabs dig holes and leave piles of perfect clay.  I've been adding a little sand, but basically it is perfect straight from the ground. 

The more I look at the pot shards left behind the more I am amazed at the level of craftsmanship of the work.  Where I took this video is locally considered a pottery workshop, and it would not surprise me to learn that folks were exporting a lot of pottery in pre-columbian times.  The beach on the north side is scattered with shards that have worked there way down.  They are worn down like a river rock would be.  

I think I could spend a decade or two studying and marveling at the work here.  At this point with the level of corruption in every level of government etc., benign neglect may be better overall for this place.  I have been talking to the guys who dig in the hill here why it is cooler to leave the pots in the ground in that the story of the people is erased forever when stuff is taken out willy nilly.   Mostly they haven't thought about that part of it and consider it the same as "prospecting" for pirate bottles and such.  They are smart and soulful guys for the most part. 

They were actually like, "Wow, I never thought of that before.  I'm going to think about that more."  So, hey, that's better than nothing, eh?

1 comment:

peeeps said...

That's cool, Chris. Testify, my friend! I hope to someday chill with you at ye olde site.